When it comes to the largest names in the energy industry, you don’t really get any bigger than British Gas. They’re a well known energy supplier serving the whole of the United Kingdom, though they’re known as Scottish Gas in Scotland (both of these brands serve energy under the Centrica brand).
And the truth is, even though there are a ton of smaller players coming into the market, especially when it comes to green energy suppliers, many people like to stick with a big brand name like British Gas. But are they any good, or would you be better off looking elsewhere for your gas and electricity?
British Gas Review
The truth is that if you take a look at what the majority of customers say about British Gas, things are positive. They provide an above average service, and the fact that they’re one of the largest players in the market definitely has an effect on that.
And even though that many customers are looking to move to cheaper and more green energy suppliers, they still have a large percentage of the current market share. Their fixed deals are not a bad choice, as they tend to be a reasonable price. Plus, it’s very easy to get add-ons like boiler cover when you’re with a big company like this.
Now on the other hand, not everyone is a fan of British Gas. As is often the case with bigger companies like this one, their customer service could definitely do with some improvement. So, it’s fair that we’ve got to look into both the good and bad things about the company.
Pros and Cons of going with British Gas
- As the largest energy supplier in the UK, you know what you’re getting with British Gas. They’re fairly reliable and have a ton of other customers across the UK (10m+), meaning that you’re very unlikely to face any issues with their supply.
- One of the key reasons why people like to stay with British Gas throughout their lifetime is that they offer a pretty good reward scheme. Across the course of a year they have a whole host of giveaways and rewards schemes, which is definitely useful for families.
- For those looking to make the switch over to electric vehicles, British Gas have a reasonable EV tariff you can use for this.
- Although you are getting one of the biggest and most trusted names in the business by going with British Gas, you’re going to pay a premium in comparison to smaller providers. Though British Gas aren’t always the most expensive energy company out there, many people find that typically they’re a little more costly than the rest.
- As well as being one of the more expensive energy providers, they’re not the most green option out there either. With some companies like Octopus having a huge focus on being more environmentally friendly, that’s a large factor for many people nowadays. British Gas aren’t the worst for this, but they’re nowhere near the best either.
- Although I wouldn’t say that British Gas customer service is bad, it’s typical of what you get from a big corporation. It can be difficult to get through to someone at times,
All in all, it’s no surprise that many people are choosing to stick with larger suppliers like British Gas. Many of their customers have been with them for several years or even decades, and they see no reason to switch over to a different supplier.
However, the truth is that if you’re looking for a low cost provider, then you’re likely better off choosing someone outside the larger name brands like British Gas. You can end up getting the same quality of service, just at a much lower price.